- Police found 39 people dead inside a container in Essex after they were called by paramedics
- The Bulgarian lorry entered Britain at Welsh port of Holyhead, suggesting it had come through Ireland
- The lorry’s driver, a 25-year-old from Northern Ireland, has been arrested on suspicion of murder
- Truck and its refrigerated trailer arrived on Saturday, meaning victims may have been inside for four days
CCTV shows the moment a lorry drives through an Essex industrial estate with the bodies of 39 people in its refrigerated trailer.
Footage recorded by a business on the Waterglade Industrial Park, Thurrock shows the left-hand drive truck passing through the estate just half an hour before an ambulance crew discovered the bodies of 38 adults and a teenager in the back.
The Scania lorry is originally from Bulgaria, but thought to be owned by a Northern Irishman. It had entered the UK at the Welsh port of Holyhead, where ferries arrive from Ireland, four days earlier.
The trailer is refrigerated, meaning those on board could have frozen to death while trying to get into Britain through the perceived ‘weak point’ of Ireland.
The lorry’s driver, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, has been arrested on suspicion of murder in what is one of Britain’s biggest ever murder investigations. Police have not said where those who died are from or where they were thought to have been travelling from and to.
The deaths will lead to renewed calls for added checks on vehicles entering Britain through so-called ‘soft spot’ ports, with Border Force resources currently focused on Dover.
Police have found 39 dead bodies in the back of a lorry container on an Essex industrial estate. The lorry appears to have a refrigeration unit between the cab and the container leading haulage experts to suggest those inside may have frozen to death
Photos show the inside of the refrigerated trailer where 39 people were found dead in the early hours of this morning
Aerial pictures show screens have been put around the back of the white lorry, with forensics tents placed nearby. Police have not said where those who died are from
Police in forensics suits were seen worked on the cab end of the lorry, which is Bulgarian registered. It is not known where those found inside got in
Bulgarian authorities have said the lorry was previously registered in the Bulgarian coastal city of Varna by a company owned by an Irish woman.
Local TV channel BNR said the truck was registered in June 2017, left the next day and has not since returned.
The fact that the lorry arrived at Holyhead on Saturday suggests those who died may have been in the back of the vehicle for at least four days.
A member of the Freight Transport Association (FTA) said the lorry could have got a ferry from France to Ireland, then driven through Ireland before boarding another boat to Britain.
Seamus Leheny said: ‘If the lorry came from Bulgaria, getting into Britain via Holyhead is an unorthodox route.
‘People have been saying that security and checks have been increased at places like Dover and Calais, so it might be seen as an easier way to get in by going from Cherbourg or Roscoff, over to Rosslare, then up the road to Dublin. It’s a long way around and it’ll add an extra day to the journey.’
A source told the Irish Daily Mirror they believed the container first arrived in Belfast, before it was taken down to Dublin and then on the ferry to Holyhead.
The lorry’s trailer is understood to be refrigerated, meaning temperatures inside could have been as low as -25C.
Describing the conditions inside, Road Haulage Association chief executive Richard Burnett said, if the was refrigerated was switched on, conditions inside would have been ‘absolutely horrendous’ and would kill anyone inside ‘pretty quickly’.
Mr Burnett added: ‘It’s going to be dark. If the fridge is running it’s going to be incredibly cold.
‘The only place to go to the toilet is on board the back of the trailer. You can imagine if they’ve been in there for days then there will be faeces, there will be urine.’
The truck is a Scania with the words ‘Ireland’ and ‘The Ultimate Dream’ on the windscreen
Flowers were laid at the edge of the police cordon today as local business owners told of their shock at the 39 deaths
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he is ‘appalled’ by the tragedy and that his thoughts are with those who lost their lives and their loved ones.
He tweeted: ‘I’m appalled by this tragic incident in Essex. I am receiving regular updates and the Home Office will work closely with Essex Police as we establish exactly what has happened. My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives & their loved ones.’
During Prime Minister’s Questions in the House of Commons, Thurrock MP Jackie Doyle-Price said: ‘To put 39 people into a locked metal container shows a contempt for human life that is evil. The best thing we can do in memory of those victims is to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.’
Responding, Boris Johnson said: ‘It is hard to put ourselves in the shoes of those emergency services, as the right gentleman opposite (Jeremy Corbyn) said, as they were asked to open that container and to expose the appalling crime that had taken place.
‘I must say I do share her strong desire now for the perpetrators of that crime, and indeed all those who engage in similar activity – because we know that this trade is going on – all such traders in human beings should be hunted down and brought to justice.’
Irish premier Leo Varadkar said any necessary investigations would be undertaken if it was established the lorry had passed through Ireland.
‘The information that we have so far this morning is very sketchy but there are some reports that the truck may have passed through Ireland at some point,’ he told the Dail parliament in Dublin.
It is the biggest disaster of its kind since 2000, when 58 Chinese stowaways died on a ferry from Belgium to Britain.
Today’s tragedy has claimed more victims than the Manchester Arena bombing, in which 22 were killed.
In 2015, 71 migrants, including eight women and four children, were found dead in the back of a Slovakian meat lorry which was abandoned truck on an Austrian motorway.
The industrial estate where the lorry was found today is next to the Dartford Crossing and is used as a stopping point for lorries travelling south to the Port of Dover and the Channel Tunnel, although the planned route of the lorry involved is unknown.
The police have cordoned off the lorry while forensics experts gather evidence from the lorry
Large screens have been put up around the lorry while the murder investigation takes place
Lithuanian lorry driver Tadas Cesnavicius works in the area.
The 40-year-old said: ‘You see a lot of lorries coming in and out the area, but whether they have people inside who knows?
‘It is terrible to hear it happened right in the next road.’
Emergency services sent five ambulances, their hazardous area response teams and a car from the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance to the scene.
A restaurant worker in the industrial estate said the area was cordoned off by police this morning.
‘There’s a lot of police and forensics,’ the Big Blue Food Bus employee said. ‘It’s awful. We thought maybe someone had broken into a lorry, but it’s just awful.’
Essex Police said it set up a casualty bureau for people to call if they are concerned about relatives following the incident at the industrial park in Grays.
Essex Police Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said: ‘This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened.
‘We are in the process of identifying the victims, however I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process.
‘We believe the lorry is from Bulgaria and entered the country at Holyhead on Saturday, October 19 and we are working closely with our partners to investigate.
‘We have arrested the lorry driver in connection with the incident who remains in police custody as our enquiries continue.’
Police have not said where they believe the people had travelled from. They say it may take a long time to identify them all
Police and emergency services were called to the estate last night. They were unable to save any of those found in the container
The investigation will now try to work out where the people came from and what route they had taken to get to the UK.
Alp Mehmet, the chairman of the group Migration Watch UK, called on the government to better patrol Britain’s borders to ensure such tragedies were not repeated.
He said: ‘People-trafficking is a sickening business. It continues not only because the traffickers make huge amounts of money from it but are also often able to get away with it.
‘The risk is that more such tragedies will occur for so long as the UK fails to properly resource the border and return those who have no right to be here, which all but encourages traffickers to ply their trade by exploiting people who put their lives in their evil hands.’
Despite the investigation being at an early stage and it being unclear where the victims died, the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants has already blamed the British government.
The charity’s chief executive Satbir Singh said: ‘Nobody should be in any doubt that the ultimate responsibility for these deaths lies with government policy which has deliberately closed down safe and legal routes into Britain.’
Bulgarian foreign ministry spokesman Tsvetana Krasteva said: ‘We are in contact with our embassy in London and with British authorities.’
The National Crime Agency (NCA) said: ‘We are aware of this tragic incident which is now the subject of a murder investigation being led by Essex Police and we have deployed NCA officers to assist.
‘We are working with partners including Essex Police and Immigration Enforcement to provide specialist support to urgently identify and take action against any organised crime groups who might have played a role in causing these deaths.’
The Essex Police casualty bureau numbers are 0800 056 0944 for callers living in the UK, or 0207 158 0010 for people dialling from outside the UK, the force said.
The lorry is understood to have entered the UK at Holyhead, from where ferries arrive from Ireland, on Saturday
The worst disaster since 58 were killed in tomato lorry in Kent .Then there were 71 dead in a meat lorry container by people smugglers