Crime Files Network

www.crimefiles.net/info.

Archive for the ‘ALCOHOL DRUNKS’ Category

Two drunk thieves were caught in the early hours of Monday morning stealing a valuable painting from a Bavarian museum.

SAMSUNG

Police in Nuremberg were alerted at 4.30am by the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in the city. A security guard said the museum’s alarms were going off and two people with torches had been stopped.

Officers sealed off the area surrounding the building with dogs and men. In the museum’s courtyard they arrested two men and recovered the painting undamaged.

Police said in a statement on Monday that the men, aged 22 and 23, were “under the influence of alcohol”. The case is now being investigated by detectives in Nuremberg, who said the men have admitted to theft.

The painting by German-Danish, 20th Century artist Emil Nolde measured 40cm by 60cm.

hs-sig-red-on-white

DRIVING AN ESKY WHILST DRUNK WILL GET YOU IN JAIL & CHARGED

MOTORIZED ESKY IMAGE www.youbeautute.com

An Australian man risked losing his driver’s licence for three years when he took his motorised esky on a drunken late night trip to a McDonald’s drive-through.

William Bevan Kropp, was three times over the limit when he drove the 49cc motorised esky 20km/h from his Lisa Place home along Denton Park Drive to Rutherford McDonald’s.

Police were responding to a report of antisocial behaviour at the fast food restaurant about 2.20am on May 19 when they saw Kropp, 27, steer into the drive-through.

When police stopped him at the final window, they saw the four-wheeled vehicle was fitted with an esky as a seat, a 49cc petrol motor that formed part of the chassis, and full steering but it had no lights, blinkers or reflectors.

The device is classed as a vehicle under the law that defines a vehicle as “built to be propelled by a motor that forms part of the vehicle”.

Kropp was not wearing a helmet, his eyes were glazed and his speech slurred when police asked for his licence.

He told police he’d had “some vodkas” earlier in the night and was taken to Maitland police station after returning a positive reading to a roadside breath test.

Police said the man became aggressive at the station where he returned a high-range reading of 0.155.

He told police he had consumed five low-carb beers and five vodka pineapple drinks since 11am the day before.

Kropp was suspended from driving and had been without his licence for three months when he fronted Maitland Local Court on Wednesday to defend a high-range drink-driving and driving an unregistered vehicle charge.

After discussions with police Kropp pleaded guilty to the offences.

The court heard the suspension had placed a massive strain on his ­employment and finances.

Kropp faced an automatic three-year disqualification for high-range drink-driving that also carries a maximum $3300 fine and 18 months jail.

His licence was returned to him and he was placed on a two-year good behaviour bond without conviction provided he completed the Traffic Offenders Program, attend a Road Wise Course and submit an assignment relating to the illegality of internet-type vehicles, which is where he bought the vehicle.

AAA

hs-sig-red-on-white

Steve Bosevski ‘stopped from

helping dying twin’ after cop attack

Natasha Wallace

June 29, 2011


POLICE used capsicum spray in a man’s eyes and a stun gun on his brother without warning or explanation during an NRL grand final celebration at St George Leagues Club, a court heard yesterday.

Steve Bosevski, 35, said he was arrested for assault but was never charged and the police never explained why they had taken him away after a violent brawl erupted at the club on October 4 last year that left his twin brother, Steven, dead.

Mr Bosevski told an inquest yesterday that he had argued with a man shortly before the brawl but there had been no physical violence between them or anyone else before police arrived on the scene and used batons, capsicum spray and stun guns on the crowd.

Steven Bosevski, left, with his twin brother Steve, right,  pictured in Greece.Steven Bosevski, left, with his twin brother Steve, right, pictured in Greece. 

The two brothers were so close that they still slept head-to-toe in the same bed at the Arncliffe home of their parents, Mr Bosevski told Glebe Coroner’s Court yesterday.

The three-week inquest is examining the circumstances of Steven Bosevski’s death, including if his fragile medical state had any significance and whether police used reasonable force. He had been held face down by two security guards and two police officers for four minutes, the court has heard.

An autopsy found he died from a combination of methylamphetamine toxicity and hypertensive heart disease.

Mr Bosevski broke down yesterday as he told of the moment he realised his twin was lying motionless on the floor with officers trying to revive him and he was prevented from going to him.

”I said: ‘please let me go and call my brother because, if he hears my voice, if he has any life in him he’ll come back’, and he [a police officer] said: ‘you shut the f— up’,” Mr Bosevski said.

He said his eyes ”burnt like hell” from the capsicum spray.

His brother, Tony, had moments earlier been shot with a stun gun, he said.

”I’ve never heard him [Tony] scream in my life the way he screamed in that much pain; it hurt me…”

Mr Bosevski said he had been out on the terrace when police approached him and asked him to leave but did not explain why.

He said he was pushed twice from behind by an officer.

”I said: ‘hey, what are you doing? I told you we are leaving’ … he got out his capsicum spray and he got me in the eyes.”

Philip Biggins, appearing for police, put to Mr Bosevski that on three occasions he had been asked by security guards to move away from the bar area and that, after he had argued with Robert Hristovski, a security guard said to him: ”calm down or leave”.

”No, no, that’s wrong,” Mr Bosevski said.

Mr Biggins said that one of his group said: ‘they’re f—ing kicking us out’ and one of you said ‘let’s f—en go back in’. You deny that?”

”It didn’t happen.”

Appearing for the family, Winston Terracini, SC, asked Mr Bosevski if at any point security, police or club staff had asked him to leave because he was intoxicated or because of bad behaviour.

”No,” he replied. He said he was ”not at all” intoxicated. The inquest continues

Judge misses drink-driving

court date to go on vacation

Paul Bibby

June 22, 2011 – 12:32PM

A senior NSW judge has pleaded guilty after recording a blood alcohol reading of 0.168 after a serious accident in which he collided with two cars and a truck.

Acting Appeal Court judge, Justice Roderick Howie, was planning to drive to the central coast at 9:30am on May 19 when he failed to give way to a B-Double truck, according to a police statement of facts tendered in Ryde Local Court this morning.

Police say the 61-year-old, who has presided over many significant cases, including that of Dianne Brimble, hit the truck’s rear trailer as he pulled onto Beecroft Road in Sydney’s northwest, just minutes from his home.

They say he then mounted the footpath before crossing onto the other side of the road into oncoming traffic, colliding head on with a car coming the other way and sending it into a third car travelling in the same direction.

The driver of the car that Justice Howie hit head on was taken to hospital with neck pain but did not suffer serious injury.

Officers who attended the accident say the judge was “unsteady on his feet, his face was flushed and his eyes watery”.

Having initially recording a blood alcohol reading of 0.168, a breath analysis at Eastwood police station later that morning produced a reading of 0.121, just inside the medium level drink-driving category.

Justice Howie was charged with driving under the influence and had his licence immediately suspended.

Justice Howie reportedly told police that he had consumed a bottle of red wine between 7pm and 11pm the night before the accident.

He did not attend Ryde Local Court this morning, with his lawyer telling the local magistrate his client had gone to Japan for a holiday.

Justice Howie’s lawyer pleaded guilty on his client’s behalf.

The local magistrate appeared less than impressed saying that “the facts show a serious accident has occurred, whoever the accused might be I would expect the accused to be before the court”.


Not guilty pleas in Mr Ward

prison van death

May 30, 2011 – 12:19PM

Two security-firm employees have pleaded not guilty to failing to prevent the heat-stroke death of an Aboriginal elder in the back of a prison van in the Goldfields.

Mr Ward, 46, who cannot be fully named for cultural reasons, died in the back of the un-air-conditioned van while being transferred from Laverton to Kalgoorlie in January 2008 to face a drink-driving charge.

The two van drivers, Nina Stokoe and Graham Powell, were charged under the Occupational Health and Safety Act with failing to take reasonable care to avoid affecting the safety or health of a person in custody.

In the Kalgoorlie Magistrates Court today, both pleaded not guilty and their cases were adjourned until August 29.

The maximum penalty if they are found guilty of the charges is a $20,000 fine.

The private security contractor G4S, which employed the pair, has previously pleaded guilty under the OHS Act to failing to ensure the health and safety of Mr Ward.

The company is waiting to be sentenced and faces a maximum penalty of $400,000.

WA’s Department of Corrective Services, which had control of the van, has also pleaded guilty of failing to ensure non-employees were not exposed to hazards and also faces a maximum $400,000 fine.

The department has taken steps to prevent a repeat of the incident, including flying people from remote regions to court and taking delivery of 40 improved prisoner transport vehicles.

An inquest completed in May 2009 by WA Coroner Alastair Hope concluded that all parties involved contributed to Mr Ward’s death.

But in June 2010, WA’s director of public prosecutions ruled out criminal charges, finding a prima facie case did not exist.

The following month, WorkSafe WA decided to investigate to determine whether the OHS Act had been breached and subsequently laid charges.

In July 2010, Mr Ward’s widow and her four children received $3.2 million in an ex-gratia payment from the state government.

G4S has not had its contract to provide a prisoner transport service renewed by the government.

AAP  

Policeman resigns

over probe

into Facebook postings

of drunk Aboriginals

Aja Styles

February 18, 2011

Prison photos published on Facebook

A WA police officer is under investigation after posting photographs of drunk Aboriginal men detained at his station’s lock-up as his Facebook profile pictures.

A West Australian police officer who allegedly used his Facebook profile to post photographs of drunk Aboriginal men detained at his station’s lock-up has resigned.

The photographs – obtained exclusively by WAtoday.com.au – show the men, bleary-eyed and barely conscious, inside a police cell in the remote town of Wiluna in the state’s Goldfields.

Underneath one of the photographs was written the caption: “I wonder if anyone will notice my spray-on tan?”

One of the men whose image was posted as a profile picture on Constable John Trenouth's Facebook page. <I>Original image pixellated to protect the victim's identity.</i>One of the men whose image was posted as a profile picture on Constable John Trenouth’s Facebook page. Original image pixellated to protect the victim’s identity.

The photographs were contained in Senior Constable John Trenouth’s profile pictures folder on his Facebook page, while a friend and fellow officer indicated she “likes this” – a popular Facebook feature.

A police internal inquiry was launched after WAtoday.com.aubegan investigating the matter back in December last year.

The photos were wiped from Senior Constable Trenouth’s Facebook page – which has restricted access – just hours afterWAtoday.com.au began investigating the claims.

Constable Trenouth was transferred from Wiluna before the internal investigation began.Constable Trenouth was transferred from Wiluna before the internal investigation began. Photo: Facebook

However, investigators have obtained screenshots of his Facebook profile when the images were displayed and also traced his computer activity.

Senior Constable Trenouth was stood down from duty on full pay after WAtoday.com.au brought to the attention of Police Commissioner, Karl O’Callaghan, the racial connotations of his Facebook page, months into the inquiry.

This week Senior Constable Trenouth handed in his resignation which has been accepted by Mr O’Callaghan and will become effective mid-April.

One of the images posted as a profile photo on Constable Trenouth's Facebook page. <I>Original image pixellated to protect the victim's identity.</i>One of the images posted as a profile photo on Constable Trenouth’s Facebook page. Original image pixellated to protect the victim’s identity.

The internal inquiry into Senior Constable Trenouth’s conduct will continue to examine whether any criminal charges can be brought against the officer, who has served a minimum of nine years on the force.

The matter has angered Aboriginal rights advocates and came just months after horrifying vision of Aboriginal man, Kevin Spratt, being Tasered 14 times by police in the East Perth lock-up became public.

For legal reasons comments cannot be opened on this story


 

Subscribe to Crime Files Network