Crime Files Network

www.crimefiles.net/info.

Archive for April, 2017

Syria attacks: Autopsies ‘confirm chemical weapons used’ by Dictator Assard on his own people.Look into the child’s eyes you cowards.

assard-of-syria image www.crimefiles.netA Syrian doctor treats a child following Tuesday's chemical attack in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria image www.crimefiles.net

The autopsies, conducted on three victims by Turkish doctors, provide the most concrete evidence to date for why more than 80 civilians – including about 30 children – were killed. The chemical used was most likely the deadly nerve agent sarin, the Turkish Health Ministry said.

“According to the preliminary results, the findings suggest that the patients were exposed to a chemical substance [Sarin],” the statement said.

Sarin is 20 times as deadly as cyanide. Within seconds of exposure noses run, tears form, mouths drool and vomit. If exposed to a high concentration, victim will convulse, become paralysed and die within 10 minutes.

Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said that the World Health Organisation supervised the autopsies and that the results were sent to The Hague for further analysis.

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem rejected the findings from Turkey, denying the government had used chemical weapons in the past and maintained that it never would.

At least 86 people were killed in the attack on the Syrian north-western town of Khan Sheikhoun, according to a tally from the health department in rebel-held Idlib Province, the New York Times reports. But the toll may not include victims evacuated to Turkey for treatment who have since died.

WHO experts took part in autopsies on victims of the chemical attack in a hospital in Adana, Turkey image www.crimefile.net

Meanwhile, demonstrations have erupted in London, New York, Los Angeles and parts of the United States against US President Donald Trump’s order to fire 59 missiles at a Syrian airbase early on Friday morning following the chemical attack.

The Syrian army claimed nine civilians, including four children, were killed in Friday’s aerial assault which, according to the Pentagon, were aimed at planes, depots and air-defence systems at the Shayrat Airfield.

Destroyed aircraft shelters on the south-east side of the Shayrat air base in Syria, following US strikes image www.crimefiles.net

The field, between Damascus and Homs, was hit with Tomahawk missiles fired from the USS Porter and USS Ross, two destroyers in the Mediterranean.

A statement from the Syrian army command described the attack as an act of “blatant aggression”, saying it had made the United States “a partner” of Islamic State, the ex-Nusra Front and other “terrorist organisations”.

The office of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, meanwhile, has called the US missile strike against the air base in central Homs “reckless” and “irresponsible”, Associated Press reported.

Only hours after the attack, two war planes took off from the central Syrian airbase and carried out bombing raids nearby, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, targeting territory controlled by IS.

A Syrian military source told Agence France-Presse that Syria’s armed forces were warned about possible US military action hours before the strike and a number of airplanes were moved to other areas. US officials said Russia’s military in Syria were informed beforehand in order to avoid casualties, AFP said.

This is the first time the US has directly targeted Assad’s forces. The Obama administration threatened to attack after previous chemical attacks, but did not.

Burnt and damaged hangars after they were attacked by US Tomahawk missiles image www.crimefiles.net

From his his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, Trump said his decision had been prompted in part by what he called failures by the world community to respond effectively to the Syrian civil war.

“Years of previous attempts at changing Assad’s behaviour have all failed, and failed very dramatically. As a result, the refugee crisis continues to deepen, and the region continues to destabilise, threatening the United States and its allies.”

A Syrian doctor treats a child following Tuesday's chemical attack in Khan Sheikhoun, Syria image www.crimefiles.net

But United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appealed to parties involved in the Syrian conflict for calm to avoid adding to the suffering.

“Mindful of the risk of escalation, I appeal for restraint to avoid any acts that could deepen the suffering of the Syrian people,” he said.

President Donald Trump speaks at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach after the US fired a barrage of cruise missiles into Syria image www.crimefiles.net

The situation in Syria now “amounts to an international armed conflict” following the US missile strikes, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

“Any military operation by a state on the territory of another without the consent of the other amounts to an international armed conflict,” ICRC spokeswoman Iolanda Jaquemet said in Geneva.

The guided-missile destroyer USS Ross fires a Tomahawk land attack missile towards Syria image www.crimefiles.net

“So according to available information – the US attack on Syrian military infrastructure – the situation amounts to an international armed conflict.”

Russian President Vladi­mir Putin called for an immediate meeting of the UN Security Council and his spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, called the US missile strikes “violations of the norms of international law, and under a far-fetched pretext”.

US allies around the world expressed support, if sometimes cautiously, of Washington’s strikes on Syria.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the strikes sent “a vitally important message” that the world would not tolerate the use of chemical weapons. “The retribution has been proportionate and it has been swift,” he said. “We support the United States in that swift action.”

Britain, France and Japan all expressed support.

“The UK government fully supports the US action, which we believe was an appropriate response to the barbaric chemical weapons attack launched by the Syrian regime and is intended to deter further attacks,” a British government spokesman said.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau urged an investigation into who was responsible for the chemical attacks before the US strike, according to Canada’s Globe and Mail.

“There are continuing questions…that’s why I’m impressing on the United Nations Security Council to pass a strong resolution that allows the international community to determine first of all who was responsible for these attacks and how we will move forward,” he said.

Washington Post, Reuters, AP, with Tammy Mills

swedens-truck-murders-scene image www.crimefiles.net

A truck ploughed into a crowd on a shopping street and crashed into a department store in central Stockholm on Friday, killing four people and wounding 15 in what the Swedish prime minister said appeared to be a terrorist attack.

Police said they had detained one person in a northern Stockholm suburb after earlier circulating a picture of a man wearing a grey hoodie in connection with the investigation into the attack on Drottninggatan (Queen Street) using a hijacked beer truck, which happened at around 2.45pm local time.

The scene shortly after a truck crashed into a department store in central Stockholm image www.crimefiles.net

Local authorities in the capital said early Saturday that six of the injured had been able to leave hospital while eight adults and one child remained hospitalised.

Swedish public broadcaster SVT reported police had detained a second man and that he had a connection to the previously arrested person, citing police sources. The police declined to comment on whether it had arrested any additional suspects.

Prosecutors ordered the man arrested on suspicion of terror crime through the act of murder. He was arrested on the highest level of suspicion in the Swedish legal system.

The man police had said was wanted in connection with a truck attack in central Stockholm image www.crimefiles.net

Jan Evensson of the Stockholm police said the man who was arrested looked like the person in the surveillance camera photo above.

An injured person is helped by passers-by sweden truck murders image www.crimefiles.net

“Our message will always be clear: you will not defeat us, you will not govern our lives, you will never, ever win,” Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, who had earlier described the assault as a terrorist attack, told a news conference.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Aftonbladet, a daily newspaper, reported a man with light injuries had been arrested in north Stockholm after claiming he was responsible for carrying out the attack.

According to The Telegraph, London, reports indicated that the suspected attacker was a 39-year-old father-of-four from Uzbekistan.

Some reports suggested he had previously posted jihadist propaganda on his Facebook page and had images of people injured in the explosion at the Boston Marathon in April 2013.

A police spokesperson declined to comment on the information.

Police said security at Swedish borders had been heightened. They did not rule out the possibility other attackers were involved.

Aussie tourist: ‘I saw a big truck coming towards me’

“I turned around and saw a big truck coming towards me. It swerved from side to side. It didn’t look out of control. It was trying to hit people,” Glen Foran, an Australian tourist in his 40s, told Reuters.

“It hit people; it was terrible. It hit a pram with a kid in it, demolished it,” he said.

“It took a long time for police to get here. I suppose from their view it was quick, but it felt like forever.”

The area of the attack in central Stockholm was evacuated, including the main rail station, and remained cordoned off late on Friday. All subway traffic was halted on police orders and government offices were closed.

A Reuters witness at the scene saw police officers put what appeared to be two bodies into body bags.

Bloody tyre tracks showed the path of the truck, which was stolen by a masked hijacker while making a beer delivery to a tapas bar further up Drottninggatan, according to Spendrups Brewery spokesman Marten Lyth.

“We were standing by the traffic lights at Drottninggatan and then we heard some screaming and saw a truck coming,” a witness who declined to be named told Reuters.

“Then it drove into a pillar at (department store) Ahlens City, where the hood started burning. When it stopped we saw a man lying under the tyre. It was terrible to see,” said the man, who saw the incident from his car.

Police said four people had died and 15 were injured. National news agency TT said those hurt included the delivery driver, who had tried to stop the hijack.

Pretty cunning modus operandi

Several attacks in which trucks or cars have driven into crowds have taken place in Europe in the past year.

Al Qaeda in 2010 urged its followers to use trucks as a weapon. Islamic State claimed responsibility for an attack in Nice, France, last July, when a truck killed 86 people celebrating Bastille Day, and one in Berlin in December, when a truck smashed through a Christmas market, killing 12 people.

“Hijacking a truck, that has happened before,” Magnus Ranstorp, head of terrorism research at the Swedish Defence University, told Reuters.

“And this is a pretty cunning modus operandi. To drive to Ahlens and stop … There is a way down to the subway just a few metres away from there, and then you … can jump on any train you want and quickly disappear.”

Stockholmers opened up their homes and offered lifts to people who were unable to get home or needed a place to stay.

“Our thoughts are going out to those that were affected, and to their families,” Sweden’s King Carl Gustaf said in a statement, while European Union chief executive Jean-Claude Juncker said an attack on any of the bloc’s member states “is an attack on us all”.

The attack was the latest to hit the Nordic region after shootings in Danish capital Copenhagen in 2015 that killed three people and the 2011 bombing and shooting by far right extremist Anders Behring Breivik that killed 77 people in Norway.

Sweden has not seen a large-scale attack, although in December 2010 a failed suicide bombing killed the attacker only a few hundred yards from the site of Friday’s incident.

In February, US President Donald Trump falsely suggested there had been an immigration-related security incident in Sweden, to the bafflement of Swedes.

Swedish authorities raised the national security threat level to four on a scale of five in October 2010 but lowered the level to three, indicating a “raised threat”, in March 2016.

Police in Norway’s largest cities and at Oslo airport will carry weapons until further notice following the attack. Denmark has been on high alert since the February 2015 shootings. Traffic was restricted on the Oresund Bridge linking Denmark and Sweden at the request of Swedish police.

Neutral Sweden has not fought a war in more than 200 years, but its military has taken part in UN peacekeeping missions in a number of conflict zones in recent years, including Iraq, Mali and Afghanistan.

The Sapo security police said in its annual report it was impossible to say how big a risk there was that Sweden would be targeted like other European cities, but that, if so “it is most likely that it would be undertaken by a lone attacker”.

The Telegraph, London and Reuters

club libido banner

HS Signature Red on black

A live-streamed trial for former Perth man Henri van Breda, charged with murdering his family with an axe, will appear in a South African court on Monday

The van Breda family image www.crimefiles.net

Teresa van Breda, 55, her husband Martin van Breda‚ 54‚ and their eldest son Rudi‚ 22, were found dead at their home on the De Zalze Golf Estate in January 2015.

Mr van Breda was found there with minor injuries alongside sister Marli, then 16, who survived massive head injuries and a severed jugular. She now has brain injuries retrograde amnesia but is reportedly on the list of more than 100 people to testify in the case.

Mr van Breda, 21, handed himself in to Stellenbosch Police station with his attorney in June. He was charged with three counts of murder, one of attempted murder and another of obstructing justice and was released on bail.

The case has attracted global attention, with the first appearance given rolling coverage from South Africa’s News 24 and other local outlets.

Australian media was also at the Western Cape High Court on on Monday, where Judge Siraj Desai has granted an application by Media24 to live-stream the trial, which will begin about 8.15pm Perth time.

EB7I

HS Signature Red on black

Subscribe to Crime Files Network