Crime Files Network

Late last year his house was firebombed. In January he was shot in the upper thigh and hospitalised. Now, Darko Janceski is dead.

The 32-year-old was gunned down in front of his parents’ home at Berkeley in an execution-style killing about 5.10pm on Saturday. He died on the way to hospital after being shot several times, once in the heart, by a gunman who quickly fled the house in Gannet Avenue on a motorcycle.

His father was also injured after racing out of the house and attacking the shooter, who was driving away, with what witnesses described as a metal pole.

Police would not say whether they believed the killing was linked to the earlier attacks.

“We cannot be tunnel-visioned in this investigation; we’ve got to look at all avenues,” Lake Illawarra police Detective Superintendent Wayne Starling said yesterday.

Police believed Mr Janceski was targeted and Saturday’s shooting was not random, he said.

“I don’t believe neighbours or the wider community has anything to be concerned about at the moment.”

He also confirmed a firearm was found at the scene, but it is unknown whether the weapon was the one used to kill Mr Janceski.

The dead man had previously been linked to the investigation into the shooting death of Saso Ristevski, who was slain in front of his parents at their Lake Heights home last September, and the disappearance of Goran Nikolovski, whose burnt-out car was found in bushland on Macquarie Pass late last year and is presumed dead.

Police merged the strike forces created to investigate the two cases.

The strike force spoke to Mr Janceski days before he was shot in the leg.

Police said Mr Nikolovski and Mr Ristevski knew Mr Janceski but did not confirm the nature of their relationship.

Police have now formed Strike Force Eave, led by Homicide Squad and Lake Illawarra detectives, to look into the circumstances surrounding Mr Janceski’s death.

Mr Starling said the separate investigations could be joined.

“It depends what comes out of the initial inquiries over the next couple of days,” he said.

“The father has also raced out when he has heard the gunshots fired and engaged in a fight with the person that fired the shots,” Mr Starling said, adding Mr Janceski’s father suffered superficial injuries.

A witness said he heard “three or four gunshots” and later saw Mr Janceski’s father hit the gunman with a metal pole.

The motorcyclist fled north along Gannet Avenue and escaped up a steep grass hill at the end of the dead-end street.

Several witnesses said the suspected killer had been riding a blue and white trail bike. Emergency services scoured the hill for evidence yesterday afternoon.

A police helicopter also searched the surrounding area for any signs of an abandoned motorbike.

“Already we’ve secured the crime scene, DNA samples have been taken, a large number of witnesses are still to be interviewed in relation to the matter and also there will be a number of persons of interest that will be spoken to as well,” Mr Starling said.

This year, two men were charged with attempted murder in relation to the first shooting attack against Mr Janceski, although police yesterday said inquiries were continuing.

Mr Janceski had also appeared in Wollongong Local Court in December to face allegations he ordered a man out of a $33,000 car and stole the vehicle. He was accused of demanding a man pay him $15,000 or he would steal his car.

Add A Comment


Subscribe to Crime Files Network