Crime Files Network


A man has remarkably survived and is talking to police after being woken from his sleep and being shot twice in the face during a violent home invasion in the south-west WA town of Busselton.

Sergeant Gerry Cassidy said an intruder brandishing what is believed to be a shotgun burst into the 33-year-old victim’s Hughes Close home in West Busselton about 3am today.

In what police believe was a targeted attack, the intruder entered through the back door and headed straight for the man’s bedroom.

Forensic police were at the house on Hughes Street to investigate.Forensic police were at the house on Hughes Close to investigate.

He then opened fire with several shots, with two striking the man’s face and one entering his body.

The man’s partner was in bed with him at the time and two children, aged three and four, were in the next bedroom.

Sergeant Cassidy said the she tackled the gunman after the first shot, but he managed to fire two more shots at the victim before fleeing the scene.

An ambulance was called to the address and the paramedics reported the incident to police.

Sergeant Cassidy said the man was walking and talking when police arrived, despite sustaining facial injuries and a leg wound in the attack.

He was taken to Royal Perth Hospital after initially being brought Busselton Hospital and his injuries were described as not life-threatening.

Detective Senior Sergeant Jon Munday said the town was shaken by the crime.

“Any home invasion is horrific but this one is particularly disturbing, for the fact that a firearm was firstly taken along and then discharged,” he said.

“We don’t know what the motive behind it was, we are still investigating that at the moment, but it is particularly disturbing for a town in the South-West for something like that to happen.

“That’s not something that is generally heard of in country areas.”

Detective Munday said up to 12 officers were now hunting the intruder.

“It is very unusual and as such we are treating it extremely seriously,” he said. “We have got a lot of resources tied up in it and hopefully we get a better picture as to what’s going on throughout the day.”

He said forensic detectives were at the scene and anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Add A Comment


Subscribe to Crime Files Network