Crime Files Network


Police investigating the disappearance of Sydney girl Kiesha Abrahams have found skeletal remains in bushland in Sydney’s west.

The remains were found in a number of spots in bushland off Stony Creek Road, Shalvey, about 8am today, police said.

Officers attached to Strike Force Jarocin, set up to investigate Kiesha’s disappearance, are at the location and are helping specialist police. 

Murder charge ... Kiesha Abrahams.
Murder charge … Kiesha Abrahams.


Police said they had not yet positively identified the remains, which will be taken to Glebe Morgue for forensic examination.

The discovery comes after Kiesha’s mother and stepfather were charged with her murder.

Kiesha, who would have turned seven today, was reported missing from her Mount Druitt home in August last year but had not been seen alive for three weeks prior.

Police search bushland in Shalvey.
Police search bushland in Shalvey. Photo: Nick Moir


Early today, police arrested Kristi Abrahams, 28, and Robert Smith, 31, at Freya Crescent in Shalvey.

Detective Inspector Russell Oxford, from state crime homicide squad, said forensic officers would remain at the crime scene, but would not confirm they were searching for a body.

“Suffice to say that we will remain out there until we find what we’re looking for,” he said.

Police have set up a crime scene in Shalvey.
Police have set up a crime scene in Shalvey. Photo: Nick Moir


He said it had been a long and arduous investigation.

“We had tremendous community support all along the way and I think it was simply the case that we never wanted to give up on this matter.”

Ms Abrahams and Mr Smith chose not to appear via video link at Parramatta Bail Court this morning.

Their solicitor, Alexander Reetov, told the court that Ms Abrahams was distraught.

“She has instructed me that she does not wish to appear on the screen,” he said.

“She indicated to me she is immensely distraught this morning.”

The pair did not request bail and registrar Ross Lawton formally refused it, meaning they will remain in custody for now and are due to front Penrith Local Court on April 29.

Investigators set up a crime scene in the bush behind the quiet, suburban street which backs on to a large, open reserve peppered with litter and the shells of burnt-out cars.

Police tape has been strung across a laneway that connects the reserve with the street.

Just before dawn, three police officers walked out of the trees. Since then, more officers arrived.

A community vigil was expected to be held today at Woodstock Avenue, where Kiesha once lived, in honour of her birthday.

Mr Smith’s mother, Rebecca, was taken to hospital by ambulance from her home in Bidwill this morning.

Her partner, Jim Taupau, said she had been suffering with shortness of breath.

“It was shock,” he said.

“She was a bit short of breath.”

Add A Comment


Subscribe to Crime Files Network