Crime Files Network

Machete attack at

beauty pageant party

  • By Gillian McGee and Nathan Mawby
  • From: Herald Sun
  • April 25, 2011 9:40AM
Beauty pageant brawl

Up to 1000 people attended the party. Police said they were attacked with bottles when they tried to break up the fight. Picture: Chris Scott / Herald Sun Source: Herald Sun

  • Man slashed with a machete
  • Police pelted with glass bottles
  • Took two hours to shut down party

A MAN was stabbed with a machete and hit with a bike chain when an after-party for a beauty pageant in Melbourne descended into an ugly brawl.

Twelve police and three dog squad units were needed to shut down the fight at the Miss South Sudan Australia party early this morning.

The first officers who arrived were pelted with glass bottles and were forced to wait for back-up.

Police said a 28-year-old man was stabbed when he saw a friend involved in a brawl with approximately 15 Sudanese men believed to be in their mid 20s.

He was then attacked with a machete, hit in the mouth with the blade and stabbed in the hand three times.

He also suffered welts after he was struck on the back with what police believe was a bike chain.

“The victim was at the after party for the Sudanese beauty pageant,” police said. “He has left the hall and gone out for a cigarette, seen his friend in the brawl and he has gone across to assist his friend.”

A second man also took himself to hospital with abrasions to his ear.

It took police two hours to shut down the party.

The event was apparently an after-party for the Miss South Sudan Australia beauty pageant, which was held on Saturday.

A Facebook group set up for the pageant was advertising the party to its 782 members yesterday afternoon.

“The sunday kickback parrrrty is on tonight..” reads a message on the wall.

“Clayton town hall! $15.. Be there befor 10pm.”

The page has not been updated since the brawl.

A pageant organiser said he had no idea what sparked the fight.

“I didnt even know who was fighting or what they were fighting about,” the organiser, Phillip, told radio station 3AW.

“I think the fights always start when two or three get into it, then it just gets out of proportion.”

He said there were 10 security guards at the hall and no alcohol was being served.

“I was really upset that there was a fight because at the end of the day it is just damaging the reputation of our community,” he said.

No arrests have been made.

Add A Comment


Subscribe to Crime Files Network